While there are plenty of things to do in Hocking Hills during the day to keep you busy, you don’t want to miss out on the majestic night sky in Hocking Hills. Watch as the world goes to sleep, and the night sky lights up with a blanket of stars, planets, and celestial constellations for all to see. And because of our location away from the light pollution of city lights, places like Hocking Hills State Park and Valley View Cabins make for the perfect spots to view the night sky in Hocking Hills.
The Hocking Hills area is one of the few areas still left in the state where the night sky is seen in its unspoiled state. Whether you look through a telescope or with your naked eye, visitors will experience one of the most pristine night skies in the area.
John Glenn Astronomy Park
Located inside the Hocking Hills State Park, the John Glenn Astronomy Park was built to provide a venue for visitors to experience the night sky through a large telescope. This a great way to get a closer look at the stars, planets, and constellations without having to buy your own telescope.
Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all programs are suspended until March 2021. Be sure to check their website for the most up-to-date information.
Tips for stargazing in Hocking Hills
- Find an evening that will offer clear skies and accommodating weather. It is best to view with a clear sky, so try to avoid cloudy or stormy evenings.
- The moon is beautiful, but for idyllic stargazing, you want to avoid the moon. Pick a night of the new moon or when the moon isn’t visible in the sky at all.
- If you can, bring a telescope or a digital camera to try and capture the night sky.
- Dress in layers. You want to make sure you are warm and since you won’t be moving around much, you’ll want to bring layers of clothing to ensure you don’t get cold.
- Wear appropriate shoes. You’ll be outdoors at night, so you’ll want to make sure you have the proper footing for your safety.
- A small flashlight to help you see, but nothing bigger, as you don’t want to obstruct the view.
Stay at Valley View Cabins
Of course, one of the best ways to view the night sky in Hocking Hills by booking one of our cabins at Valley View Cabins. Relax in your hot tub or grab a blanket and cozy up by your firepit at your cabin while you sit back and enjoy the twinkling stars and try to make out the constellations. Each cabin rests on its own private lot so you will have evenings of stargazing all to yourself! Book your getaway today!